1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Long For Chick Starter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shoo80, Apr 26, 2008.

1. shoo80

shoo80 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Can I take my chicks off chick started at 12 weeks or do they need it longer. Can somebody past a pic of what a 10 wee old chick should look like?

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can take your chicks off the starter an put them on grower feed.then at 18 weeks you can put them on layer pellets.

3. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    I raised 100 last summer for a friend, took them off starter/grower at 14 weeks

4. mamarosa

mamarosa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    this will the first time raising chickens. I will get my "girls"
    on june 2nd. I want to raise them as "organic" as possilbe.
    what do you suggest the best feed for them as babies.
    thanks
    mamarosa

5. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    mamarosa: it has been abt 20 yrs until last year that i had chickens. I always have used commercial starter from local feed store, so i really cant help u with the organic part I also just got a computer in jan of this year dont have picture capibility yet.. hope to get me a digital camera soon.This year i am raising 25 iowa blues and 25 delewares they are only 5 weeks old at present also have too many trios of bantams [​IMG] sorry not much help [​IMG] ARNOLD

6. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Quote:I got my baby chicks to eat fruitflies that I raise for my dartfrogs and they loves them. They actually go nuts over them, I think its because the fruitflies are like walking blood packs.
    Then I started feeding them baby worm and slugs from the yard. Oh I also give them spiders and moths that I catch when I find them in the house. They go nuts over that too. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  7. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    My neighbor likes to shoot lizards with his BB gun and give them to my chickens.

8. JFord

JFord Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Ottawa, OH
    I was told 18 weeks by the local feed & grain, but when I asked my farmer friend he said he usually eats them at 20 weeks, and would have them off starter at around 12 weeks. I guess it probably depends on who ya talk to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by