How long for feathers to grow back?

My next door neighbor who I asked to care for my chickens two days ago, left the door that separates my Sizzle roo, from my two other roos unlocked.. so this morning I walk in to a terrified Rooster that is hiding up on a perch in the corner, completely bald and bleeding.

I just want to make sure his feathers will grow back..? Luckily he is okay, and he was smart enough not to fight to the death.. Just makes me so furious and ill never be asking that neighbor for a favor again..
somad.gif

Last edited:
My next door neighbor who I asked to care for my chickens two days ago, left the door that separates my Sizzle roo, from my two other roos unlocked.. so this morning I walk in to a terrified Rooster that is hiding up on a perch in the corner, completely bald and bleeding.

I just want to make sure his feathers will grow back..? Luckily he is okay, and he was smart enough not to fight to the death.. Just makes me so furious and ill never be asking that neighbor for a favor again..
somad.gif

Yes, his feathers will grow back, glad he is ok. Try to forgive your neighbor. If they don't keep chickens, they had no idea what would happen.
Amidst all your instructions on what to do, they may have forgotten that little piece of import.

How long should it take for feathers to grow back?
I have a BO that was worn bald on her lower back. She's been wearing an apron for about 5 weeks, but I see no sign of feather growth.

I just purchased a 4 month old hen to replace a rooster. I needed a hen the same age as our little Azzy. However, we could only find one that appears to have been pecked at and all her tail feathers are gone. They almost look like they were cut off! She is a sweet girl, and I have not put her with our other hen yet. 1. Do I need to worry that my hen will view her as weak and start pecking the new one? She never pecked before. 2. Will the feather "stumps" fall out and grow new ones? How long will this take?

My hens are still bare back from the winter. They were about 4or 5 months when they started to molt and the winter was setting in. Our roosters were very eager and well you know. Not only their backs but their butts are bare. I have separated the roosters and we have lost a few hens so our flock is smaller now then it was. The hens are not fighting and dont seem to be pecking each other anymore since the roosters are not with them. They are so much calmer now! Well it has been a month and only a few of the hens are even growing back their feathers. Most of the ones that had lost so many feathers are not growing back and there is no cuts, scars or any blood. They are all healed. Why are most of the hens not growing their feathers back? Im at a loss and Im scared they are going to get sun burned back there and I just dont know what to do. I have tried all that I can think off. Also I kept getting people saying mites. I have checked for mites and dont see anything. I have also dusted just in case. They are now going on a year old. Anyone have any ideas?

The rooster is ruff! Feathers missing from hens back. They will grow back, right?
NOT SURE I'M IN THE RIGHT PLACE TO ASK A QUESTION, BUT HERE GOES: I FOUND A SMALL WILD BIRD STUCK TO THE FLY PAPER NEAR MY DUCKS' PEN. I GOT HIM (HER?) FREE BUT MOST OF THE FEATHERS ARE GONE. SHE/HE CAN'T FLY BUT CAN GET A FEW FEET OFF THE GROUND. I'VE GOT HIM IN MY HOUSE SO THE CATS WON'T GET HIM. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF HIS FEATHERS WILL COME BACK AND IF I SHOULD KEEP HIM INSIDE UNTIL HE CAN FLY? HE'S EATING AND ACTIVE BUT NEARLY BALD. I FEEL SOOOOOOO BAD. =(

Bird in question likely to be a concern for the migratory bird act therefore not legal to possess without a permit. Check into that issue along with species ID ASAP. If migrant, then feather regrowth likely required before it could continue and near naked requires it stay in warm area during much of that time. Depending on species care requirements may be tough for novice. Most instances where migration prevented are lethal with respect to an individuals subsequent contribution to gene pool.

Get bird to biologist first like in today for species ID. Will prove educational regardless of outcome.

Thanks for all the information. Sadly, the little sweetheart didn't make it. I was prepared to care for him all winter and/or until he could fly and survive on his own even if it meant his whole lifespan. I didn't know it was illegal to save a life in that manner; guess I've been breaking the law off and on my entire life.

Back
Top Bottom