how long for turkeys to grow

tim1970

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 23, 2007
If i get some Broad breasted turkeys within the next 2 or 3 weeks, I assume they will be ready for processing around Sep. or Oct. correct? If that is the case, will they taste just as good for thanksgiving (freezing them of course) or should I wait a couple of months so they can be fresh for thanksgiving?

Tim

Broad-Breasteds grow very fast and would be ready in 24-28 weeks. You can butcher them anywhere from 12 to 25 lbs but bigger than that and they start getting too big for the oven. Toms get bigger than hens.

as said you can butcher them at 6 to 7 months old.but becareful not to grow them to big for your oven.butchering in oct an freezing them for thanksgiving an christmas should be fine.they raise butcher an freeze farm raised turkeys all the time.

I cleaned a BBB hen at 28 weeks. She weighed 25 lbs. I grew a tom out longer and he would't fit in the oven. So I put him on the smoker.
The freezing won't hurt the bird at all. If you want to eat a turkey fresh, give it a few days to rest before you cook it. The meat is really good. Turkeys are real easy to clean. The feathers come right out. Have a good time raising your birds. Enjoy the meat.
smile.png

Thanks for the help. I am sure the turkeys are real easy to clean, but I found a place close by that will process chickens for $1 a piece and turkeys for $1.50. I just didn't want to lose out on any taste by having to freeze them for a month or so.

The hen that weighed 28lbs, was that live weight or dressed weight?

Tim

Last edited:
Personally I would wait until May or June. I raise turkeys and sell fresh at Thanksgiving. It's best to plan on butchering between 16-20 weeks, 16 for a smaller 12lb bird, at 20 weeks a 20-25lb bird. Birds purchased in May, the toms may get to be 40lbs plus when dressed, at Thanksgiving. In that case smoke them, cut them in halve, or butcher early. But nothing is better than fresh.

The hen that weighed 25 lbs was dressed. We weighed her to see how long to cook in the oven. Yes, I would wait until you were closer to you desired time (Thanksgiving).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom