How long in the brooder?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bberryrt, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Bberryrt

Bberryrt In the Brooder

Sep 18, 2018
    Im new to raising quail and have 22 I hatched 2 weeks ago in the brooder. How long before I can put them in a pen?

2. AlderCreekFarms

AlderCreekFarms Songster

Jun 28, 2018
    Huntsville, Texas
    I've seen people do it at 3 weeks. I would consider the weather too, the night time temps to be specific. I'm assuming they are going outside?

le_bwah likes this.
  3. Cluckerzfamilyfarm

Cluckerzfamilyfarm Songster

Aug 2, 2018
    Just my opinion. 4 weeks if it is below 64 at night. 3 weeks otherwise.

le_bwah and AlderCreekFarms like this.
  4. Bberryrt

Bberryrt In the Brooder

Sep 18, 2018
    Thanks. It’s still in the low 70s high 60s here so I’ll give them another week or so.

5. Erkenstein

Erkenstein Songster

Dec 30, 2013
    If we are talking coturnix, at a little over two weeks they are almost completely feathered and you can tell pharaoh male from female with pretty high accuracy. I have been doing serial hatches, so I need the current chicks out of the brooder at about 16 days to give me time to clean it and get it ready for the next hatch. I wean them off of heat gradually (raise the light and then swap out the bulbs for smaller wattage) before I put them out.

It's been getting down to about 50F at night where I am, so my most recent hatchlings will have a shop light with a 60W red bulb in the hidey area of their pen for the first week they are outside (so until 3.5 weeks). No reason not to be cautious, but I put them out without heat if it's in the 60s at night with no problem at all. They are meant to covey up, and mine tend to want to sleep out in the open part of the pen rather than going into the more sheltered area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: