How long in the coop is too long for an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewChic13, Aug 9, 2011.

1. NewChic13

NewChic13 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    S. Lake Tahoe
    My girls have decided that laying after 10am is the best time of day for them. But I leave before 8am. So the eggs sit in there all day, until 7ish! Can it go bad if it gets warm in there? Can I still eat them?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    My understanding is they're just fine and yes you can eat them! My girls lay alllllllllll day long. It's been hot here too - but even when I don't get the eggs collected until late, they're fine and edible!

3. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    They should be fine. It takes a few days of a hen sitting on eggs before anything actually starts to develop. I work from 1:30 pm til 11:30 pm, and always check for eggs when I get home. I usually fine at least one or two and I've never had a problem with them.

It was about a month ago, I delivered 2 dozen eggs to a customer, about 10 in the morning, it was about 95 degrees, she leaves the money in the box, I leave the eggs in the box, but something came up and she didn't get home til about 8 that evening, and she called asking me if I thought they were ok. I told her they should be, told her to crack one and see, and they were fine. Now, just as a precaution and to make her feel better, she leaves the money in a cooler, with ice.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. You can eat the eggs, they will be fine. Whenever you may be in doubt, I would break the questionable eggs in a dish first. Just my suggestion. I don't refrigerate the eggs I eat unless I wash them, then they go into the refrigerator. The eggs I sell I do have a cooler that the eggs go right into.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by