How long is an egg good for if left in coop

Laughingduck81

Chirping
Dec 14, 2020
If a hen lays an egg in a coop, how long is it good for? Sometimes we miss one and find it a few days to a week later. Wondering if they are still ok to eat. Also, we are going away for a week and are wondering if we can still eat the eggs we lay when we get back?

When I get too many eggs, I place them in used egg cartons and there left on the kitchen counter sometimes for a month.
If I have room in the fridge I'll put them in there.

I don't usually wash my fertilized eggs, only if there's a huge amount of skid marks on the shell then I'll wash it.

I would do a float test on the eggs just to double check that they’re good. It also depends on the environment, I assume they are not fertilized.

Just put the eggs in a bucket of water. They’ll float if they’re bad.
They shouldn’t be fertilized no. We have a rooster but he is only 13 weeks old. I didn’t realize the float test was good for testing whether an egg was rotten or not, I assumed it was just for seeing how fresh it was. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for answering, makes me feel a bit better! The highest temp in my coop is maybe 27c (just over 80).

Best to gather eggs every day...and have someone do so while you are on vacation.

I didn’t realize the float test was good for testing whether an egg was rotten or not, I assumed it was just for seeing how fresh it was.
That is correct.

I would do a float test on the eggs just to double check that they’re good. It also depends on the environment, I assume they are not fertilized.

Just put the eggs in a bucket of water. They’ll float if they’re bad.
That is not correct.
ETA: A bad egg will likely float, but just because it floats doesn't mean it's 'bad'.

Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

Last edited:
Best to gather eggs every day...and have someone do so while you are on vacation.

That is correct.

That is not correct.
ETA: A bad egg will likely float, but just because it floats doesn't mean it's 'bad'.

Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.
Good to know! Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom