How long is an unrefrigerated egg edible?

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
I was out in my chicken run today and found a banty egg somewhere other than the nest box. I don't know how long it may have been out there, possibly a week. Is it still edible or should I scramble it for my dogs?
tongue.png
Our temps have been in the upper 80s for the most part of this week. Thanks in advance.

People keep their eggs on the counter for up to three weeks at a time. We are not planning on refrigerating ours either but keeping them on the counter. We eat them within the week anyhow. YOurs will be fine
big_smile.png

Put it in a bowl of room-temperature water and see what it does. If it floats, don't eat it. If it lies dead on the bottom, it is fine. If it is more or less on the bottom but is kind of half-lifted-off, if you know what I mean, then I wouldn't eat it fresh but it may still be just fine for baking or for the dog.

Good luck,

Pat

I just noticed your temps...do you have a roo? If so you may not want to save it. Our temps stay about 68 inour house but at 80 not so sure you would want to keep it. Crack it open and smell it. If there is no smell it will be fine
wink.png

I had no idea people kept their eggs on the counter!! Cool! They will look so pretty in the centerpiece basket. After the lazy chicks finally start laying, that is.

Okay, I now know which girl it is that laid out of the nest box because she has been running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off
lol.png
looking for a new place to lay today's egg. I'm on to her now though, so I'll be keeping my eye open for where her eggs are. Is this a sign of a hen really hoping to be a mama?
hmm.png

Quote:
When you take her egg, replace it with a couple of golf balls or a fake eggs. That way she won't think you took it, and she won't keep finding new hiding places. Chickens can't count so 2 fakes is usually enough to keep them coming back to the same spot.

Back
Top Bottom