How long is too long without an egg?

Apr 10, 2021
Sacramento, CA
My 25 week old Australorp just started laying on August 20. She laid an egg every day for 21 days straight. She now hasn't laid an egg since Thursday, so if she doesn't lay today it will be her 4th day without an egg.

She's eating, drinking, and pooping. She does go into the nest box once in a while but hasn't laid anything. She's not walking around like she needs to lay and is not low on energy. She is also not molting and there are no secret nests.

Could her body just be taking a break? Is this normal? Would it hurt to give her a warm bath in case an egg is stuck? I'm really worried about her.

Also- does anyone in the Sacramento Area have a vet to recommend that treats chickens in case we need them?

So we had her inside with us for about an hour but she was not happy about it and riled herself up. We put her back in the coop, and bam! Egg! We'll be keeping an eye on her still... and will still be looking for a vet that treats chickens!

My 25 week old Australorp just started laying on August 20. She laid an egg every day for 21 days straight. She now hasn't laid an egg since Thursday, so if she doesn't lay today it will be her 4th day without an egg.

She's eating, drinking, and pooping. She does go into the nest box once in a while but hasn't laid anything. She's not walking around like she needs to lay and is not low on energy. She is also not molting and there are no secret nests.

Could her body just be taking a break? Is this normal? Would it hurt to give her a warm bath in case an egg is stuck? I'm really worried about her.

Also- does anyone in the Sacramento Area have a vet to recommend that treats chickens in case we need them?
My OE started laying at 18 weeks, laid great for a month then stopped for 3 weeks, she just started back up again and her eggs are huge and beautiful! I was told it's normal and sometimes they just have a few kinks to work out;)

I was hoping this was the case. I want my girls to be happy and healthy. The eggs are just a bonus but I was so worried she may have been eggbound!
As long as you have oyster shell or layer feed or something to keep their calcium levels up they should be fine. I’m glad your girl is healthfully laying though!:hugs

Back
Top Bottom