How long is too long?

Alicia G

Songster
9 Years
Sep 29, 2010
Nova Scotia
I have been posting on a different topic about my first batch of eggs in a bator and I thought that this question should have its own thread. How long is too long to wait for eggs to hatch? I have 5 duck eggs on day 29 (going on day 30 in a few hours) and I wanted to know how much more time should I give the eggs? They are all fertile and most are moving around (one is really hard to tell as its very dark inside). Does anybody else experience overdue eggs? Please share your thoughts and experience with hatching eggs of all breeds.

There is two issues I see as most likely contributing to them not having hatched yet at day 29. Either the temp in the bator was a bit low- or the humidity was too low and the membranes have dried out too much and they cant move inside the egg.

If it was the temp- they may still hatch but just be late- if they are shrink wrapped because of low humidity you would need to assist them to hatch by opening a small hole into the eggs in the airsac and wetting the membranes so they can move again.

Muscovies do take longer- but the OP mentioned in a post elsewhere that they dont have any.

Also- Just as a thought- although I havent kept calls myself- I do recall reading that many people do have issues with calls hatching. Something about them needing assistance at times because of the shortness of the beak. They can have difficulty pipping the shell because of it.

Well I did look at my temp and it was at 98 so it was a little low, I have an egg carton top holding a batch of serama eggs ( the wire mesh makes them explode for some reason) and it maybe soaking up too much of the moisture. Ill put some more water in and let them try to hatch out , if they dont by tonight Ill help them out thanks ffor all the help:)

Almost forgot to ask. can anybody give me a step by step on how to help the eggs hatch out?

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat! I placed seventeen eggs in lockdown. One hatched on day 21. Two hatched on day 22. One on day 23. All healthy and fine! The rest are at day 25 and nothing. I've kept water in the bottom of the incubator. The temp has droped below 99 degrees. Around 98? I watch it closely. Now I have to water and feed the chicks that have hatched, but I have to open the incubator to do that. I wanted to move more then four chicks to the brooder. Can I crack the remaining eggs? What would you do? Anyone? I need guidence!

Did the ducks work? Seen that online about cracking or pipping the air sac so they can breath breaking hole in membrane for calls

I waited 25 days 2 perfectly formed but no sign of life. I had power cut think killed them off

I have 11. In lockdown due today 3. Only 1 hatched and it needed help humidity is high but the inner White membrane shrink wrapped. But just coming to bed now at 1.48am it's cheeping and moving rolling around hoping it's alive tomorrow

Was a big chick for egg

So if they are stuck should you crack airsac for chicks too? Just incase they stuck

This one I did tonight couldn't move at all

Ive been helping my three duckling hatch out and It seemed to be going fine. But they all just sat there chirping away with there beaks sticking out of the egg. so I left them be for another 12 hours (gentlely rubbing warm water ont he membrane as it was way too dry) and they still are sitting there with their little beaks sticking out the same way as they were 12 hours ago! So I started to gentlely take away more of the shell, then It happened, as I was removing a loose peace of shell I saw some blood. I immediatly stopped and put it back. Did I just kill my poor duckling?
sad.png
I feel terrible now

How do we fine tune humidity levels? I have another dozen eggs to candle and want to beat my last hatch! My four chicks are doing great! I checked the others and it was to late for them. It was the membranes. They where white and like paper. Why would the four be OK ? Placement in the incubator? I dont know....

Back
Top Bottom