How long should a 50 lb. bag of feed last for 50 chickens?

Apr 13, 2020
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hi!
A few months ago I got three laying hens, and other than a few minimal issues, it's been really great. Now that I've had a taste of being a chicken mom, I'm thinking about getting somewhere around 30-50 more laying hens (and maybe a couple roosters too) to start selling and giving away some eggs to neighbors and friends. Of course, now I'm trying to figure out how much money I'll actually be spending. I know that it will be a lot more than what I'm spending now, even though I will be making some money off of the eggs.
So, with that being said, the only thing I'm very uncertain about is how long a 50 lb bag of feed will last with 50 hens. So if anyone has any idea, please let me know!!! :)

A chicken will eat about 1 1/2 pounds of food a week. That is about 75 pounds of food per week for 50 chickens. That is not counting the oyster shells and grit they need. Free ranging the flock means less food you have to buy but also means that you will probably lose chickens to predators.

I have 3 chickens. They are just now finishing a 40 pound bag I bought when I got them the first week of April. I do not free range at this time so all their food is supplied by me.

A common estimate is that a hen eats 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound of feed each day.
50 pounds for 50 chickens is one pound per bird, and one bird should eat a pound in 3 or 4 days. So the whole bag will last 3 or 4 days for all 50 birds.

If they find a lot of food when free ranging, they will eat less feed--but unless you have a very large range indeed, that many chickens will quickly eat up what's available, and then they'll be back to eating mostly purchased feed.

Back
Top Bottom