how long should chicks be on the starter crumbles? there 5 weeks now

obe10

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Irmo, South Carolina
i have seven five week old chicks (four golden polish and 3 golden campines) they are on starter crumbles. when should i stop the starter crumbles and start the adult chicken feed? i have been giving them treats now and then. should i start mixing some "scratch" in with there crumbles?

Starter crumbles up to 8 weeks.

Starter/Grower, I use it until I get my first egg .

Grower Crumbles or pellets from 8 weeks until you get your first egg.

Layer from first egg on.

As soon as my chicks are given anything besides Starter Crumbles they are given free choice chick grit and they choose it with pleasure. Scratch is a treat. I don't mix it with their feed. TSC carries Chick Grit with is finer than regular grit.

Last edited:
depends what brand you are feeding.

Read the bag, Purina says Starter/grower till they start to lay.

If your brand has a starter, and a grower most will say till 18 weeks, or till they start to lay.

If you can get grower switch to grower and if not feed starter until they are close to laying age. Some feed it until they see an egg. I've yet to see grower here. I'm lucky if they have anything besides medicated starter and layer.

Do not mix anything with their feed. Mixing things into their feed can cause problems or at minimum make them dump all the feed out on the ground trying to sort through it then it gets pooped on, mixed in the shavings, and wasted. Anything they can have unlimited should be fed in a seperate container or things like scratch which are a treat should be fed in limited amounts daily. I wouldn't bother giving scratch to young chickens. It's mostly empty calories that they don't need. They just like it. I don't even use scratch or corn. I give mine black oil sunflower seeds in winter. More calories, fat, and useful nutrition.

If you can only get the combined starter/grower, then you feed that till laying age. That's about all I have available to me in this area unless I feed a game bird grower (called Flight Conditioner by Purina).

Back
Top Bottom