How long should chicks stay in the incubator?

suzpyoung

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Temperance, MI
Four of twelve eggs have hatched, the first one was at 6:30 a.m. All 4 are completely dry. Five have had pips since about 2 p.m. Is it safe to put the four in the brooder? They have really rolled the remaining eggs around, and one was panting a little and I wondered if it's thirsty?

Yes and provide water and chick starter for them. Dip there beak into the water (just a little bit) and put a little starter on a papertowel. They instinctly start pecking at it.

Tracey

Best to leave them in or you jeopardize the rest of the hatch.

Those peeps don't need anything from you for 2-3 days. They could just as easily be going through the mail in a box right now...they're much happier inside your incubator.

Thanks so very much for the feedback! I guess when you put it in the perspective of chicks surviving mail order, I have nothing to fret about!

What about the chicks rolling the other eggs around? It always makes me so nervous. I worry that the rolling will jeopardize the un-hatched chicks. I know they need the last few days to get into position to zip. When they get knocked around does that mess them up? I tried putting them in tilted carton at lock down one time, but that didn’t seem to make a difference. One of them zipped on the wrong end and died. Any ideas of how to keep them stationary or does it matter in the end.

Dana's Kids Chicks,

Yes, eggs gettiing rolled around by already-hatched chicks appears to decrease the chances of a successful hatch of the remaining ones, from the accounts here.

You say you've already tried one of the most popular methods employed here to keep the eggs stationary-- fat end up in a carton at lock down.

There's no magic solution, but if you play around with different solutions and find one that works, definitely post it here!

Back
Top Bottom