how long should chicks take to dry?

Indiana

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
I am incubating for the first time with a hovabator 10 out of 17 so far and still arriving. How long should it take for the chicks to dry? I have condensation now on the viewing panels at the top, I think obviously because the chicks are wet and adding to the humidity. I can take vents out of the top to lessen it but would rather not if I dont' have to.

thanks for any help:)

You should leave them in the incubator for a day, and then take them out to go in the brooder, just to make sure they are dry, and sometimes I heard that chicks help other chicks get out of the shell
big_smile.png
hu.gif

if your humidity is really high it takes a long time for them to dry. My last hatch in the incubator I was out of town and DH had the humidity way too high when I got home the one that was left in there was soaked. I took her out fluffed her with a rag and put her in the brooder under the lamp then she dried pretty quickly. By the way he drowned one. It pipped and started to zip then died. With the humidity that high I'm sure it drowned. I didnt tell him though. He actually did a good job for his first time.Got 5 out of 7 eggs and all four of the duck eggs to hatch.

Thanks for your help, have now got 12 out of the 17 hatchedf and one more is zipping now. I'm sure it was too humid in the incubator so every now and again. I'm taking a vent plug out of the top for about 20 seconds, taking care the temp doesn't drop and they seem to be drying more quickly. 5 more to go, fingers crossed.

they keep sleeping for a while then running round like mad! I assume this is normal.

16 out of 18 hatched finally. Although will leave remaining 2 in for another day as they all hatched at day 21/22. Much too humid in brooder so all moved under lamp in brooder and some eating already and doing well.

Back
Top Bottom