How long should I keep new chickens separate ?

Even with the "see but no touch" method the chickens will probably get into a few fights in the first week(s) since they can't form a pecking order through the fence. As long as they don't hurt each other seriously you'll have to let them do their thing.
Just make sure to offer feed and water in multiple places so that every chicken gets the chance to eat and drink.
Exactly.
Pecking and attacking will be normal. How would you react if a random person barges into your home and makes themselves at home>>? lol :)
That's how the established chickens feel. They need to let the newcomers know that they're the boss, so let them fight and peck unless it gets really bloody.

Thank you so much for your lovely response! It warms my heart to think of virtual strangers taking time out of their day to help me. I will let you know how things go. Ultimately, I don't have an extra coop to keep them separated, only a separate run and I can't keep Barb or the girls in there for too long as it hasn't got any roosting poles or anything in there. I notice that one of the new girls is very protective of her sister. I've seen her lift her wing to let her sister (who is just as big as she is) cuddle into her. it was so sweet to watch! My school kiddies are going to be sooooo overjoyed to see these new girls as they were very sad that the cockerels had to go :(
How did things work out for your ladies? Are they doing well and a single flock of happy hens now?

Exactly.
Pecking and attacking will be normal. How would you react if a random person barges into your home and makes themselves at home>>? lol :)
That's how the established chickens feel. They need to let the newcomers know that they're the boss, so let them fight and peck unless it gets really bloody.
That's s brilliant way to describe it!

Back
Top Bottom