How long should I keep the chicks in their coop until allowed to free?

ragerkid2

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Johnstown Pa
After I take them from there brooder to there coop, how long should they stay locked up in their until they can free range?
Thanks!
-Brandon

I keep mine in for five to seven days (they do have an attached run they can go into though.)

At first, I let them out of the run to free range usually about an hour before dark, so I can watch them. They usually stay very close to the coop for the first few days, then they more brave and will run and flap their wings.....So much fun to watch.

If they are in a run... you can start as soon as you take them out to the coop, just place them in the coop for the first few nights until they get the idea that is where you want them to stay at night. If you are talking about completely free range (no walls/fencing) I would leave them in the coop for about a week so they get the idea to sleep here, you may still have to round them up a few times after you start letting them out during the day (I always lock my chickens up at night- even those that free range). But personally i wouldn't allow them to free range until they are almost fully grown, but we have alot of predators in our area. Right now my 9 week old have a temporary run, eventually they will have acess to the property!

I moved mine outside at about 2 or 3 weeks, with a heat lamp in the coop. I kept them there for about a week before I started letting them out into the run. They are almost 3 months old now, and they free range for a few hours every few days. I get them back in the coop using cheerios lol

I locked mine in the coop for 2-3 days to get them used to it. Then I let them out and they knew where home was. They've always gone in at night and when it rains without any problems. (Note: the coop has windows with hardware cloth and wood covers which I open in the morning and close at night so it's not like they were cooped up in the dark for 3 days or anything.)

Back
Top Bottom