How long should I treat an eye problem?

Being in California isn't going to make getting an antibiotic easy. What I would do if I still lived in your state with its draconian laws about over the counter antibiotics for pets is to cultivate a good relationship with a vet. If you have other pets, you may already have established such a relationship. I assure my vet I will assume responsibility for the care of my chicken if they will write the prescription.

I believe Buffy has a staph infection going on in her eye now that is resistant to the Terramycin. Staph has evolved to defy most of our common antibiotics. So what's needed usually can't be obtained without a prescription no matter where you live. This is a med that could treat Buffy's eye but you have to have a vet email a prescription to them. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2B31DB07-3FDD-46DB-9226-1CD182F1876B

Antibiotics and vitamins are no different for people and animals. What works for one species works for all. Only the dose is different according to the weight of the patient.

As for Buffy returning to the flock when she's better, there should be no problem since she hasn't been out of their sight. But until she's feeling better, not feeling vulnerable, she needs to be protected from the flock picking on her, which is what they do to a chicken that is sick.
Thank you for your recommendation. Our cat has been only seen by a vet for an ear infection (we are relatively new in town), and I believe they (and other vets in town) don't treat birds, but I will ask around.

I really hope I can help Buffy.

Back
Top Bottom