How long should I wait before helping guineas hatch?

mtblankus

Songster
6 Years
Apr 1, 2016
I started with 12 fertile eggs. 5 hatched on day 24, 2 hatched on day 25, and 2 more hatched early this morning (day 26). Hatched 9 out of 12 so far.

For context, the guinea hen did not go in the coop one night, so we went and found her on a nest. She usually gives up after a week to 10 days, so I didn't let her sit.

We took the eggs in and had them on the counter for about 24 hours before we put them in the incubator (we had to go buy one). For that 24 hours, they were in the house on the counter at about 73 degrees. I don't know if it's possible that her starting to sit on them for a few hours (up to 12, as she had been in the coop the night before) started some of them developing.

I have 3 eggs left. I candled and saw movement in all 3 this morning, but no pips in the shells so far.

Do I give them 2 more days (to 28 days)? I don't want to leave them in there to die if they're stuck. But also don't want to meddle and do more harm than good.

I've kept the humidity above 75-80% since day 24, when we were surprised with the first keet hatched while still in the egg turner ...
1657142558736.png

I've only opened it once a day to get the dried hatchlings out and made sure the humidity and temp went right back up.

Are these 3 just slow developers? Maybe they didn't get a head start under the hen?

Back
Top Bottom