How long should I wait before helping

And I open mine constantly - funny how many different ways there are to do things
smile.png
If I'm worried about a humidity drop I just add a wet sponge while I'm in there. I've never had the experience of opening the incubator causing my eggs to die. Could be just a different area thing.

If you missed it---that was second group of words---""In My Area". With Newbie's I can not reply---its ok to Open it---because it might not be in the Newbie's area---might cause a lot of hatching problems. Having Read 1000's of post I do not read "Most all my chicks died because I did NOT open my incubator the last 3 days", most of my reading is people having major problems , most of those are the ones that open at will----Like I did in the beginning---very low hatch rate and problems------SO I suggest for them to leave it closed---I feel a newbie would have a better chance---till they learn.

If you are hatching 85 to 100% of fertile eggs----don't change a thing----its working for you, but we can not tell someone in a different area its ok to open during lock-down because it might cause a Major problem. In my area I can probably come up with 25 to 30 people that I have helped in the last year with their hatch by just telling to Not Open at all during Lock down and I see(on FB) them now telling others in our area to leave it closed because of such great hatches they are having now-----so Yep----Its a Location thing sounds like.

One other Question----why Do You have to open your incubator constantly??? I never open mine during the last 3 days and I have no problem as well as 95 to 100% hatch rates. I have monitored 100's of broody hens I have set------None of them get off their eggs the last 2 to 3 days---That's where I learned some of my knowledge from---Broodies.

Last edited:
And I open mine constantly - funny how many different ways there are to do things
smile.png
If I'm worried about a humidity drop I just add a wet sponge while I'm in there. I've never had the experience of opening the incubator causing my eggs to die. Could be just a different area thing.
highfive.gif
xs 2. I think newbies should have info from both sides, hands on and hands off, then let them find their comfort level and what works for them. I remove my chicks, flip over the pippers that have been knocked, pull out the shells and assist when I feel the need.

:highfive:   xs 2.  I think newbies should have info from both sides, hands on and hands off, then let them find their comfort level and what works for them. I remove my chicks, flip over the pippers that have been knocked, pull out the shells and assist when I feel the need.

Thank you for the information, this is my 3rd time incubating, I have helped chicks in the past and have removed hatched chicks and flipped pippeds I have had both good and bad outcomes from it. I have never been told how long to wait to help and I don't want to trial and error when it comes to that. Thank you for the help

Thank you for the information, this is my 3rd time incubating, I have helped chicks in the past and have removed hatched chicks and flipped pippeds I have had both good and bad outcomes from it. I have never been told how long to wait to help and I don't want to trial and error when it comes to that. Thank you for the help
I, personally, give them 18 hours before I widen the pip hole and check. Usually, they are ok and veins are still prominent so I wait till 24. If they are progressing on their own, I wait. If they start actually zipping around the egg and stall, I wouldn't give more than an hour before assisting. Main thing to remember if you see heavy veining or blood-stop, it's too soon. If the membranes start turning brown and leathery, I will interceed to wet the membrane/moisten the membrane and make sure the inner membrane is not adhering to the chick an replace them in the bator to progress on their own. And I also run 75%ish humidity at hatch time to make sure I have adequate humidity.

I always heard that 3 days before hatch day is "LOCK DOWN" meaning do NOT open it if you don't need to.
The egg / membrane can Shrink wrap a chick, making it more difficult to get out of the shell.

I saw the "frankenchicks" my friend had after Helping stuck chicks.
I swore to myself that I would Nevah do that....unless it's an emergency!

I REALLY try to keep OUT of the bator during Lockdown.
Sometimes when the hatch is spread out over 3 or 4 days it's impossible.
I recently had a chick Zipped almost all the way around & then Nothing.
I could SEE the shrunken membrane & worried about moving the hatched birds out.

This last hatch I broke my rule about "Helping" a chick.
It was from my Blue SHOWGIRL chick, & I really wanted the little one.
I had to be Extremely Careful, & only pulled off small pieces of shell, but NO membrane.
BUT the chick was STUCK & the membrane had dried out!
Eventually the chick was free, but it took 3 days to remove the dried membrane.
The chick was constantly scratching trying to remove it.
Showgirl chick is fine, BUT I lost a LOT of sleep.
You can only make your BEST guess as to "IF" you should help the chick.
Every case is different, & you may change your mind After doing it.
GOOD LUCK!!! (*o*)

PS - had a muscovy that kept pushing an egg out of her nest.
I could hear the duckling quacking & crying for 2 DAYS!!!
I finally helped it out ( tiny shell pieces only, NO membrane )
Duck "ELEVEN" lived for 9 YEARS & was a Wonderful Pet.
I was Really HAPPY I helped her out of that shell (*=*)

It has been over 30hrs so I opened the incubator to check on it, the membrane was dry, followed the zip line it started and took off small pieces of shell and left the membrane alone. I did pinch the membrane a little and it started to bleed, so I moistened the memo with warm water and stuck it back in the incubator.

I ended up helping it this morning and so far it is fine, everything looks normal, it's just a little weak and I'm thinking that's from giving its little all to trying to hatch.

I ended up helping it this morning and so far it is fine, everything looks normal, it's just a little weak and I'm thinking that's from giving its little all to trying to hatch.
If you have sav a chick electrolyte, (or any watered down gatoraid, pedialyte) or nutridrench, often that helps with the weaker chicks that just need a little boost.

Back
Top Bottom