How long should I wait for them to hatch? *More Q's in post 4*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JustMandy, Oct 11, 2010.

1. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Sorry, it's my first hatch. [​IMG]

They were due to hatch 10.10.10. Two started on 10.9.10 one hatched the next afternoon, then 3 more throughout the day.

I had 11 eggs that I candled before lock down and were all moving.

When do I give up on the others?

How long will the chicks be okay in there while I wait? One is coming up on 24 hours.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Open it, take out the babies, & give it a couple more days. By the 13th, they will definitely be hatched or not going to.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
  3. I have given them 2-3 more days and sometimes had the late hatcher. Good luck!

4. JustMandy

Mar 2, 2010
    Okay, I moved teh babies out but then all the levels went nuts and there are many more hatching. I think they "pipped" does that mean they broke that first hole?

So the humidity went down, I inticipated that so I added hot water before I took the babies out but then it got really high.

Within a half an hour it went something like this:

80 to 65 to 90 then back to 80ish.

I know there's nothing I can do about it now but would that big flux be a problem?

The temp went a little wonky through all that, too but not as bad. It might have gotten down to 96 but my bator has been running a degree or two low the whole time.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It's ok. The temp & humididity may fluxuate, but inside the shell, it stays the same. The incubator will re-regulate before the eggs change at all. They can handle it!
    The lower temp is why they are slow to hatch. I keep my Sportsman 1502 at 99.5 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
  6. JustMandy

Mar 2, 2010
    I figured that about the lower temp. I don't fully trust my thermometer and the last time I tried to up it a couple degrees, I over adjusted and the bator was 111* for a few hours. [​IMG]

My water probe temp has been a steady 99.

7. JustMandy

Mar 2, 2010
    Here's a little eye candy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What birdaholic said - I give eggs 3 days past scheduled date of hatch to ensure those that can, will.

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ok not to steal the post here but my hatch day was Saturday I had 14 hatch Saturday 5 hatch yesterday and so far 2 hatch today. If the other 2 dont hatch or pip by tomorrow I should get rid of them Wednesday?

10. JustMandy

Mar 2, 2010
    I woke up to 4 more babies! Thanks for telling me to be parient.

I kept wanting to "help" them but my newly formed BYC inner voice kept screaming "NOOOOO!!!" So glad I listened!

One pipped and one ? left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by