How long should I wait until I break the nest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickensducks&agoose, Jun 15, 2011.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got 2 ducks who are sitting on 2 nests. They started setting 4 weeks ago this past monday... so we're at about 31 days. I can't reach the nests, or see the nests, but I did poke around with a rake handle and there are certainly eggs in it. They may or may not even be fertile, our sole male is a partially disabled mallard, and these setting ladies are a pekin and a KC. He has certainly managed to... uh... fertilize? at least one of the other hens, but I really don't even know about these eggs. I think most of our hens laid eggs in these nests, but only 2 decided to set. How much longer do I have to wait? At what point do I rake out the ducks, the nests and the eggs? It smells kind of stinky under there, but not at all what I'd expect if the eggs were rotten...

2. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    were they actually setting 24/7? my question is, are you sure of the incubation beginning date? it's hard to tell when they actually start brooding sometimes. i would give them time (i've heard up to a week longer for natural hatching).

don't know for sure, though, and am not a duck person, but here's a bump to the top [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by