How long should I wait?

mcnichol

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
I have 3 broody hens. One hen (Lucy) successfully hatched 4 out of 5 babies on July 28-30th. Another broody hen, who was broody and sitting well before Lucy was on a clutch of 3 eggs, one of which got cracked early on. Today marks at least day 30. I had anticipated hatching August 9th. One got cracked today and when I looked inside, it was a fully formed baby with her sac not absorbed. Sadly, she didn't make it. I am wondering about the last egg. Poor mama has been sitting so long. Should I let her continue to sit or just toss? During the time, she has gotten up and off her nest at least once a day and eggs have either been there or another hen has sat on them, so temperatures have fluctuated. I am not good at candling and don't want to do the water submerge as I worry about fissures that I cannot see well since so many hens have taken turns on these eggs. Advice?

Can you try to candle, but take pics and put them on here? I have gotten pretty good at candling, and so have other people here. Day 30 sounds pretty long, if you don't want to share pictures, I would wait until day 35, then if nothing, toss the egg

Back
Top Bottom