how long should I wait?

sheila3935

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Stonington, illinois
I have just hatched 21 out of 23 eggs I have 2 left. Hatch day was Saturday. Had 14 hatch Saturday 5 hatch Sunday and 2 hatch Yesterday. On lockdown when I candled 2 looked a little behind the others. I candled the last 2 last night and could see one beak in the air cell and the other moving. How long should I give them? when should I try to or if I should try to help.

I am by no means an expert, but I was told 5 days from lockdown is the longest. If you see movement and development, I would probably give them until tonight to at least pip. If they pip and all parameters are good (temp/humidity 70%), I would leave them until morning.

If they did not pip by tonight or the wee hours of the morning, I would likely intervene. I appreciated your post on my thread about how long after first pip to intervene and totally agreed with what you did for 2 of yours. They need help sometime and when the maximum amount of time has been given and life is evident in the shell, it seems most humane to me to help.

But please let the more experienced hatchers come and give their input as well. Others' school of thought is if the chick is not strong enough to hacth on its own, it is better to leave them be..not sure I could do that. Like I said, I am no expert and I am in the process of experiencing my first hatch, best wishes!
fl.gif
Keep us posted!

Last edited:
Thanks since this morning we have had one more hatch I am hoping the other does too. I really dont want to have to intervene but if thats what it takes I will. Id rather at least give it a chance at making it instead of doing nothing

Back
Top Bottom