How long should it take for my newly purchased flock to start laying agIn

donsellars9

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
Hi
I am a newbee from OHIO. Over the last two weekends I have purchased my flock and they all laid the first couple days and then only two continued to lay. i have been told that they will stop laying until the get used to there new home. I was wondering if there was anything i can do to help this process along. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

They stop laying due to stress (in your case you bought them and changed their environment) When bringing home a bird I try to have the same feed they had from the last owner (get a zip lock bag of feed from them) obviously that doesn't happen every time. I find out if they where given pellets or crumble and buy a bag just for them. Then over the next few weeks add your feed to their feed so they are changing over slowly. It's less change and stress for them if some thing stays more constant.
Also did you get them all from the same person?

images

Yes, the stress of a new home can cause them to stop laying for a while. Just make sure to move slowly around them, don't try to pick them up much for a few weeks, keep the loud noises down to a dull roar around your place, and just give them time to relax. They will come around once they feel safe.

Good luck with your new flock and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom