How long should we wait?

blueggsandspam

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Almost Heaven
We set the eggs on the 9th of November. 22 eggs 9 have hatched the remaining ones do not have any pips nor make a noise. How long should we wait before we discard the remaining eggs?
idunno.gif

I think some wait till day 24 or 25. Have you candled them to see if you can see any movement? If you hold a questionable egg sideways then hold the flashlight on the large end look toward the bottom of the airsac and you can sometimes see movement or an internal pip. Sometimes if you peep to them then hold them up to your ear you can hear clicking or peeping sounds. Also there is a water test you can perform but I haven't tried that yet so I'm not quite sure how that works.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

We usually wait until day 25 before we discard any eggs that didn't hatch.

I would candle the eggs, look for movement &/or an internal pip. An internal
pip will look like a pin point inside the air sac. It'll be hard to see any movement
this far into incubation.

You could do a float test, if you want Heres a link that shows you how-
How to do a Float Test

I Normally Give Eggs A Full 24 Hrs Overdue Before Float Testing. It Works On All Bird Eggs- Period! Takes Very Little Equipment Or Time To Do And Is Easy To Perform. It Should Be Noted All Eggs Warrant Close Inspection Prior To Float Testing--- Any Pips In The Shell? Do Not Float Test! If The Shell Is Broken, Pipped Or Cracked In Any Way Water May Enter And Drown The Chick Inside.

Start With A Bowl Of Sufficient Depth To Allow The Eggs Your Testing To Float Freely Or Sink. Add 100 Degree Water To The Needed Level And Allow It To Settle( Quit Swirling And Calm Down)

Once Settled Take The Egg Or Eggs To Be Tested And Gently Lower Them Into The Water With As Little Disturbance As Possible. You May Need To Wait A Few Minutes For The Water To Settle Again After Adding Egg/ Eggs. Then Just Watch....

Eggs Are Judged By Observation With Results As Follows:

1. Sinker= Dud, Never Developed

2. High Floater (like A Fishing Bobber Without Weights) Say 45% Or More Of The Egg Above The Water Line= Dud, No Development Or Fetal Demise, Likely Rupture Of Internal Membranes Causing The Egg To Dehydrate.

3. Low Floater= Viable Egg, Development Full Term

4. Low Floater Rockin And Rollin! This Is The Live Embryo Moving Inside The Egg= Definate Viable Egg!

Once Test Results Complete Take Viable Eggs And Gently Pat Dry And Replace In Hatcher. Duds Are Best Discarded At This Time.

Back
Top Bottom