how long til my new hen lays?

thebitty

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Cedar Bluff, MS
I got a new young hen today and I was wondering how long it will take her to start back laying. The owners said she's been laying for a month or so. Does the new environment and other new chickens affect how long it will be till she starts laying again?

There can always be some delay or pause in laying, sometime for up to two weeks. Not always the case though as I just rehomed 25 18-month old hens and received 21 eggs the next day.
ep.gif

That would be nice Haha! I only had 2 hens before I got this one and neither of them can lay yet but I got this one so that I go on and start getting some eggs to raise babies and I was wondering if the new hens and rooster around it would stress it and cause a delay but i guess we'll find out! But Im hoping to find one in the morning. How many can one hen lay in a day?

So, thebitty, did she start laying for you? I am in the same situation. I purchased a couple of pullets that are suppose to be at POL (point of lay), but one only layed once and the other not at all. We've had them for a over two weeks now. They were added to a flock of six, one being a cockerel. Kind of worried they may have been expired hens and not pullets. Hope you are getting eggs now.

Yep she layed the very next day. I was given 5 more laying hens and I have 2 new game hens and two game roos also. I had to but toe cords for those that I ain't breeding right now with my hens lol. But we have a 16 year old game hen that is still laying. ( I believe its a miracle) but we've hatched lots of bitties from her while she was still on my friends game farm. But I'm buying an incubator Friday and hopefully getting more!

Basically, it hooks above their spurs and they have 6ft of room to run 360 degrees. So its like 12 ft of playroom from side to side lol its just to keep them from fighting wile their not breeding

Back
Top Bottom