1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long till eggs get larger?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ConnerClucks, Aug 30, 2011.

1. ConnerClucks

ConnerClucks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Indianapolis In
    I have 2 black australorps that have been laying for about 5 weeks now and they both lay very small eggs and occasionally eggs without shells at all. They are being fed the same layer crumbles that my barred rocks eat but the barred rocks eggs are much larger. The funny part is the australorps are now bigger chickens then the barred rocks. I read on here that they will lay smaller eggs at first but couldnt find anyone say how long till the eggs reach full size.

Thanks

Conner Clucks

2. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    My BSL has layed her 4th egg today ever (4 days in a row) first 3 eggs were a medium egg. Today her egg next to a store bought large egg was the same size as it. I have never had BA's, but I would think they should have reached full size by now... how old are they?

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Not sure about BA. My RSL started laying at about 4 months. Now are 9 months. One is laying a small egg still, 2 are medium and 1 is extra large. They all got a little smaller in the heat. Even my older hens are laying smaller eggs right now.

4. ConnerClucks

Feb 18, 2011
    Indianapolis In
    They were born on feb 23 2011

They have been excellent layers I would say they each lay about 6 a week. They had a 2 week run going where they both layed everyday.

I just thought they were supposed to lay large eggs like the br but they are smaller and brown speckled where the br are larger and solid brown.

5. ConnerClucks

Feb 18, 2011
    Indianapolis In
    BTT

Anyone else have any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by