How long till first time brooding?

Knight Hawk Ranch

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 19, 2007
Labelle, Florida
I have a RIR flock and since I don't have an incubator (or the $ to get one right now). I am anxiously awaiting for one or some of my girls to go broody.

They have been laying consistantly now for about a month and half and are about 7 months old.

Most are laying in the nest boxes provided and are free range during the day.

Just wondering how much longer I have to wait until someone decides to 'sit'.

Thanks,

I would never have thought that. I have had RIRs in the past and have always had at least one (from smaller flock) go to sitting and hatch out the chicks. I just can't remember how old they were when they did it.

Dont get your hopes down.
I got a good strong broody RIR one the nest right now!!

She is only 10 months old.
I did get her from Ideal though so she might not be a purebreed,but she is a dark mahogany color.

She is a tight setter,i think 10 days now.

My flock came from Ideal also and look purebred....which is what I ordered.

Is there anyway you can encourage a hen to sit?

I have always just let them do their thing, the eggs where a bonus. I had the chickens for the 'bug patrol' around my horse barn.

Now that I have eggs and have sold off my extra Roos, I have customers wanting more.
My girls are at least paying for themselves in the egg department.

It may be a coinsidence but the first broody i got was when i came back from a trip to the kiamichi mountains,the egg pile was backed up so i did have to chunk alot of eggs but a hen was setting on top of them,then she slep on them and i tossed all the eggs under her and put new ones under her.

i dont know if the egg pile up made her go broody or not??

I do know that my broody leghorn chicks has influenced 3 other hens to go broody..:mad:

Back
Top Bottom