How long to break out of shell?

No problem! I learn better with pics, so I was trying to give you a visual. Good luck with your hatch!
smile.png

Thank you for your wonderful photos. I got 1 baby today that looks exactly like yours. I am doing the hatching for the 1st time and chickens for that matter. I now understand pip and zip. Thank you. I had to add warm water as I think they lacked humidity and now are starting to be more active to get out.

NO DON'T ADD WATER!!!!!!!! DON'T ADD ANYTHING THEY CAN DROWN WITH ANY LIQUID ON THE SHELL!!!!!!! you can help them break out a bit, BUT NEVER DO THAT!!!!
th.gif

please be sure to give them time some are a lil slower than others and be careful not to give them to much help dont open the shells completely. the chick may be still absorbing the yolk.

Did I doom this chick?
I saw that it pipped this am at 8.... When I got back 12+hrs later it was in a dry shell with membrane sticking to it. It is COLD tonight in the negative numbers so I removed some of the shell ....ok most of it. The egg sack was absorbed--- I have the chick wrapped in a towel and heating pad.

Last edited:
How is it doing now? Do you have a brooder for it? I wouldn't trust to leave it wrapped in a heating pad because it may be too warm for it. Was it in an incubator? More eggs to hatch? I'd stick it back in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom