How long to brood ducklings.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnaD, Mar 9, 2011.

1. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I was curious to know at what age ducklings will do well outside. They are no more than a week old now. The end of this month averages mid to upper 60s next month it will be in the low to mid 70s. Will they be ok to go outside by then? I can always add a heat lamp at night. I'm just afraid they will grow out of their box too quickly! [​IMG]

2. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Depends on the number and maybe I'm lucky but ducks seem to be able to be outside from like day 2 or 3, with a mother... or 4-5 days without. BUT I do have some very mothering ducks who would accept them in a second. Alone with nobody to care for them? maybe a week or two.. they get big and self-reliant QUICK.

They're the only ones I know who JUMP out of their shell running... Chicks flop over and heave andheave... and ducklings pop right out and go, "HI CAN I HAVE A POND NOW PLEASE!?"

3. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Quote:You are the reason I have ducks now! You mentioned them in another of my threads about stupid chickens. [​IMG] THANK YOU! LOL

I only have three campbells and no one but me to mother them.

4. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:You are the reason I have ducks now! You mentioned them in another of my threads about stupid chickens. [​IMG] THANK YOU! LOL

I only have three campbells and no one but me to mother them.

Oh! For only 3 I'd wait a couple weeks... probably 2 or so... they do get big really quickly though. My main problem with them being young wasn't being cold or silly (oh wait it is winter there isn't it?? Maybe 3 weeks if it's cold) it was they were so tiny they kept running UNDER the fence to steal the neighbours food!!! 3 days old and already running off.

i'm so glad you got ducks because of me!!! [​IMG] that cheers me up.

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I would keep them indoors for a good 3 weeks or more. Are they going outside into a duckhouse with a covered area so they can get out to play without being killed my preditors.

6. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    3-4 weeks in good weather. I had a group that it was nice during the day at say 2 1/2 weeks, that I let them out well protected to roam, and brought them in for chilly nights. It helped a lot with the small space indoors. They were just in it at night.

7. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    In Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks it says once they are 6-8 weeks old and well feathered they can withstand temps 50* and lower

8. JAY B

JAY B New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    Ducklings need their mom for quite a while. Even though they can swim right away, their feathers are not waterproof & the mother takes her oils and puts it on them. Without it they will die shortly, suddenly, & of apparently nothing. Without these protecting oils they will get sick & die from being in water. Our ducks were born last May & eventually decided to live on the river but still come up to the house daily to be fed a little. They made it through the cold winter just fine & being domestic, they never migrated. If you see ducks that stay all winter, it's because they are either partially(descendants of) or totally from domestic stock & don't know to migrate. They are however hardy & totally waterproof.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

10. Mimo

Mimo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2013
    Central Minnesota
    Thanks for this! I have been looking all over for something to let me know when mine can go out. I have two 17 day old Pekins and they are just starting to get their feathers in. Boy are they messy! I'm cleaning their brooder (they are sharing with 6 white rock chicks) almost daily. Can't wait to get them outside to eat and play!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by