How long to brood ducklings.

AnaD

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
N. Ca
I was curious to know at what age ducklings will do well outside. They are no more than a week old now. The end of this month averages mid to upper 60s next month it will be in the low to mid 70s. Will they be ok to go outside by then? I can always add a heat lamp at night. I'm just afraid they will grow out of their box too quickly!
hmm.png

Depends on the number and maybe I'm lucky but ducks seem to be able to be outside from like day 2 or 3, with a mother... or 4-5 days without. BUT I do have some very mothering ducks who would accept them in a second. Alone with nobody to care for them? maybe a week or two.. they get big and self-reliant QUICK.

They're the only ones I know who JUMP out of their shell running... Chicks flop over and heave andheave... and ducklings pop right out and go, "HI CAN I HAVE A POND NOW PLEASE!?"

Quote:
You are the reason I have ducks now! You mentioned them in another of my threads about stupid chickens.
ya.gif
THANK YOU! LOL

I only have three campbells and no one but me to mother them.

Quote:
You are the reason I have ducks now! You mentioned them in another of my threads about stupid chickens.
ya.gif
THANK YOU! LOL

I only have three campbells and no one but me to mother them.

Oh! For only 3 I'd wait a couple weeks... probably 2 or so... they do get big really quickly though. My main problem with them being young wasn't being cold or silly (oh wait it is winter there isn't it?? Maybe 3 weeks if it's cold) it was they were so tiny they kept running UNDER the fence to steal the neighbours food!!! 3 days old and already running off.

i'm so glad you got ducks because of me!!!
big_smile.png
that cheers me up.

3-4 weeks in good weather. I had a group that it was nice during the day at say 2 1/2 weeks, that I let them out well protected to roam, and brought them in for chilly nights. It helped a lot with the small space indoors. They were just in it at night.

Ducklings need their mom for quite a while. Even though they can swim right away, their feathers are not waterproof & the mother takes her oils and puts it on them. Without it they will die shortly, suddenly, & of apparently nothing. Without these protecting oils they will get sick & die from being in water. Our ducks were born last May & eventually decided to live on the river but still come up to the house daily to be fed a little. They made it through the cold winter just fine & being domestic, they never migrated. If you see ducks that stay all winter, it's because they are either partially(descendants of) or totally from domestic stock & don't know to migrate. They are however hardy & totally waterproof.

Ducklings need their mom for quite a while. Even though they can swim right away, their feathers are not waterproof & the mother takes her oils and puts it on them. Without it they will die shortly, suddenly, & of apparently nothing. Without these protecting oils they will get sick & die from being in water. Our ducks were born last May & eventually decided to live on the river but still come up to the house daily to be fed a little. They made it through the cold winter just fine & being domestic, they never migrated. If you see ducks that stay all winter, it's because they are either partially(descendants of) or totally from domestic stock & don't know to migrate. They are however hardy & totally waterproof.
welcome-byc.gif

In Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks it says once they are 6-8 weeks old and well feathered they can withstand temps 50* and lower
Thanks for this! I have been looking all over for something to let me know when mine can go out. I have two 17 day old Pekins and they are just starting to get their feathers in. Boy are they messy! I'm cleaning their brooder (they are sharing with 6 white rock chicks) almost daily. Can't wait to get them outside to eat and play!

Back
Top Bottom