How long to feed chick starter?

Sweetly Silkies

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
MO
My Coop
My Coop
Okay, Im in a situation, my parents say now that for every new chicken i get an old one has to go, UNLESS i pay for the chick starter until they lay. I have about 100 chickens now, and i am nt going to let any go! lol, its a price im willing to pay.but, how long do i need to feed them chick starter? till they lay? thanks :)

Last edited:
Yes, you can feed Starter until they lay. If it were non medicated, you could feed starter as a Flock Raiser type feed. Feed for everyone.
Usually, it is too pricey for that purpose.
Flock Raiser, All Flock, Game Bird starter, PoultryStarter are all excellent All Flock type feeds.

Last edited:
You can feed starter forever just add calcium on the side for the layers....

But its sort of hard for me to ignore that you have asked a very basic question that I think anyone with 100 chickens should already know the answer too. Perhaps you need to consider what is motivating your parent to trying to limit your adding to your flock?

Haha I guess you have a bad case of chicken fever. I used to have over 100 chickens once......then the foxes came lol. Anyways you can feed them chick starter until they lay, but they only really need it for the first two months.

After they are two months, I stretch the chick starter by mixing in scratch, so the starter will last longer, and I also let them free range a little bit which really does cut down on the feed costs. Once they are five months, then that is when I switch them to layer mash. Have fun, hope you get things sorted out so you don't have to get rid of any chickens.

Back
Top Bottom