How long to feed flock raiser to molting chickens

Wish I could find cheaper flock raiser feed. Double the cost of the layer feed. Layer feed I can get the "store brand" and it is good. Flock raiser they really only have brand names like Purina etc.
All Flock by Nutrena in my area is $15.99, I think the layer feed is $14.99 (Dumor). I did get layer feed at Walmart for $10.89, after about a month my chickens didn't look as healthy. I have roosters, pullets, hens, and ducks. I switched back to All Flock. I use Nutrena Meatbird for my meat flock. I really like Nutrena.

Check their price for 'game bird' feed. Where I live, layer is only 7% protein and costs more than 21% game bird feed. That's THREE TIMES the protein, and less expensive too. The last bag of game bird feed that I picked up was $23 USD for 40kg (88 pounds). It's much easier to reduce their overall protein intake when necessary than to increase it and still maintain balance in their feed.

Check their price for 'game bird' feed. Where I live, layer is only 7% protein and costs more than 21% game bird feed. That's THREE TIMES the protein, and less expensive too. The last bag of game bird feed that I picked up was $23 USD for 40kg (88 pounds). It's much easier to reduce their overall protein intake when necessary than to increase it and still maintain balance in their feed.
Good advice!

Wish I could find cheaper flock raiser feed. Double the cost of the layer feed. Layer feed I can get the "store brand" and it is good. Flock raiser they really only have brand names like Purina or pellets so I would have to transition them from crumbles.
Protein is expensive.
Learn to read nutrition tags, the fine print on tags sewn into bottom of bags.

All Flock by Nutrena in my area is $15.99, I think the layer feed is $14.99 (Dumor). I did get layer feed at Walmart for $10.89, after about a month my chickens didn't look as healthy. I have roosters, pullets, hens, and ducks. I switched back to All Flock. I use Nutrena Meatbird for my meat flock. I really like Nutrena.
Don’t forget that all flock is $15.99 for a 40lb bag not 50lb like others

Mine waste crumbles and only like pellets. I don't mind the 10 lb difference.
I like pellets myself. I just wanted to point out the 10 lbs difference in case someone was comparing.
I am switching everyone over to Poulin Grains Turkey/Gamebird Grower/ Finisher because specs are very close to all flock and I get it for $15 and change for 50lbs.
Quality product also.

Surprisingly, my feed store sells game bird feed (21% protein) for quite a bit less per bag (same size bag) than they sell layer feed (7% protein and shockingly NO calcium) and chick feed (8% protein and only available medicated). Scratch here is 5% protein and actually looks very nice, as it's whole grains instead of mystery powder, but I haven't bought any in a long while. I am guessing that they grind the blend of game bird feed for quail farmers and what's left over gets bagged up for we-the-little-guy... would explain why when it's gone, it's gone... and reduced price just to move it off of the shelf before it's nothing more than bug food.

Surprisingly, my feed store sells game bird feed (21% protein) for quite a bit less per bag (same size bag) than they sell layer feed (7% protein and shockingly NO calcium) and chick feed (8% protein and only available medicated). Scratch here is 5% protein and actually looks very nice, as it's whole grains instead of mystery powder, but I haven't bought any in a long while. I am guessing that they grind the blend of game bird feed for quail farmers and what's left over gets bagged up for we-the-little-guy... would explain why when it's gone, it's gone... and reduced price just to move it off of the shelf before it's nothing more than bug food.
Wow now that’s some awfully low protein levels compared to what is here state side. I wonder why? It’s not like the requirements for chickens change drastically depending on boards.

Back
Top Bottom