1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long to get "purebred" chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aggieterpkatie, Oct 9, 2009.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    This spring I'd like to hatch some chicks, but all of my chickens are together. If I want to make sure my barred rock hen gets fertilized by ONLY the BR roo, how long do I need to keep them isolated from the others until she's only going to lay eggs w/ BR sperm?

Does that make sense?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She will be fertile for at least two weeks or more possibly by another rooster, so to be absolutely sure, I'd wait three or four weeks.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    4 to 6 weeks

4. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses. That long? I'd have to put them in a large dog crate. I dont' think they'll be happy cooped up for that long. [​IMG] Maybe I should just order chicks.

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I currently have all my birds together - with our 2 silkie roo's. Funny them trying their thing on the big girls, they usually just walk away. [​IMG] In the spring we will separate about a month prior to beeding. Have fun!

6. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:How do you separate yours?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Had the experience of seeing just how long most eggs are fertile after my main flock rooster died over a year ago. The eggs were fertile for about two and a half weeks, but none over three.

8. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Ok, thanks! I think they could live with 3 weeks of exile. [​IMG]

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    if they will have to go into a dog crate while you wait for the 3 weeks, what did you plan to do to keep them separated after that???

10. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:[​IMG] Geesh, good point. I have several different breeds I'd like to breed (BR, Americanas, frizzle cochin X, OEG). I could build a run attached to the coop and separate all the hens I want to breed. Then I could just use the dog crate as a mating pen. Put each pair in there for a day or two. As long as the roo breeds the hen once, she should be good for two weeks, right? Then I could put all the girls back into the run and just let them lay. That way each pair would only be in the crate for a day or two.

Do you think that would work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by