How long to give antibiotics for egg yolk peritonitis?

debbiesala

Hatching
Feb 7, 2023
Greetings, We have an inherited, possibly as old as 7, completely free-range silver-laced Wyandotte at 2.2 kg whom I suspect may have egg yolk peritonitis. (This self-diagnosis was possible thanks to all the fabulous information on this wonderful site!! Thanks to the people who make it happen!) Symptoms: stopped laying, sometimes yellow droppings both loose and with what looks like very small pieces of scrambled eggs, lethargic and lying down frequently, decreased or no appetite, tail down. I started with Trimethoprim Sulfa antibiotic twice daily 1.5 ml and within 2 days she improved about 75% -- regained appetite, moving around more, some more normal poops, tail up more often, etc. More recently – on day 3 of treatment, which was yesterday -- I was able to add Meloxicam for pain and inflammation at 1.5 ml twice daily. For how long should I do this regimen, particularly the antibiotic? I have come to understand the seriousness and poor prognosis for this condition and of course we have no idea what is happening internally now or for how long this will go on. If she seems better, is there a physical sign as to when to stop the medications/antibiotic or just a number of days? And if we stop, am I correct that they should resume immediately at the first sign of any symptom return? My goal is to make her as comfortable as possible. Thank you!

SMZ-TMP is often given for at least 5 days, and up to 10 days. You should continue at least a couple of days past any symptoms. If you stop too soon you risk making any bacteria resistant to the medication. And depending on what is going on, it may help for a while, and then she may have symptoms again. The "very small pieces of scrambled eggs" may be lash material possibly. If that is the case then it's salpingitis, which is notorious for resisting treatment. Antibiotics for that may buy them some time, but it almost always recurs. More on salpingitis, including pictures of lash material, here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Thank you so much for the information. After reading the informative article, I should mention she had bumblefoot in February. At the vet, we had it lanced and she was placed on the same medications at the same dosage stated above for 3 weeks -- trimethoprim sulfa and the meloxicam. I'm attaching a sample of one of her droppings. Would you mind please taking a look to possibly confirm what this is? This was the worst sample -- things have improved since. I really appreciate your time and I see you are a fellow Floridian. I'm near Orlando. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Ms Chicken sample.jpg
    Ms Chicken sample.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 7
If the vet recommended 3 weeks, that is what I would do. Dosing can vary depending on what they are treating for. Reproductive infections are very hard to treat, so if they suspect that, then that's probably the reason for the 3 week period. It could be lash material, I just can't tell. It also could be EYP from internal laying. Reproductive problems are, sadly, not uncommon in hens over the age of two. I'm much north of you, SW of Lake City.

Thanks again! I apologize I wasn't clear and just to clarify -- the 3-week treatment recommendation was for the bumblefoot, not for this current condition. We were unable to see a vet this time -- not seeing chickens due to avian flu. It's very sad these chickens have such troubles. It seems laying eggs isn't for the faint of heart!

I had a bird on a combination of SMZ-TMP and clindamycin for a very long time, about 2.5 months. It was for a very bad bumblefoot that may have been affecting the bone in the foot (osteomyelitis), and he did fine. I just watched his droppings, if they looked like the antibiotics were causing upset, I backed off on the dose a little. He's still with me a couple of years later. For reproductive issues, it's much harder to know how effective it is. I would give it until all symptoms seem to have resolved, and past that point for several days. If the bird is tolerating the dose, then no worries. If you start seeing droppings that look sick, and runny (different than what you are seeing from the illness), then the antibiotics may be irritating the digestive tract (kidney and liver can be effected). It may help with whatever is going on, but also be prepared for it to reoccur, many of them are just chronic until the bird just succumbs. Internal layers usually continue to do that, salpingitis is horribly resistant to treatment. Sometimes there are cancers that are not obvious until necropsy. I always try to treat if the bird is doing well and I think it's early enough to have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom