How long to HATCH?

Gandshobbyfarm

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 23, 2007
I have recently added Miniture Bantams to my flock and one Rooster with them. This morning my little blonde girl is setting on her nest and I am going to let her go ahead and hatch these. I think it is apox 28 days to incubate but wanted some experienced help.
smile.png

They are Seramas, any suggestions? I have 7 Red Secklinks and have loved watching them grow and my wife and I love the eggs, but have never hatched any of them (no Roo for them).

Last edited:
Blisschick said:

I belong to a Serama forum, and the consensus is that Serama need lower humidity than most chicken eggs. It's suggested to keep the humidity about 40% for the first 18 days, then 60-70% the last three. I had 5 good eggs from a dozen, and all hatched.

One thing that is mentioned often on the forum is that because Serama have no consistent size yet, very often the chicks will end up being too big inside a small shell. A lot of pre-hatch deaths happen because of this, not because of the incubation process. Unfortunately, you can't tell when this might happen, and there's nothing you can do about it.

ae50mag said:

i have tryed it both ways. if you have a sportsman 1502 add one pad for first 16-17 days then add second pad on the remaining days. and close vents part way... but i have always used 50-60% and then jump up from there... you have to see what works for you. but i have never ever had serama's take over 20 days to hatch. the temp is also important ---99.5-100.5 --- lower temp will delay hatch----

but you folks have to see what works for you. plus a qhf 1502 is quite costly if this is a once in a while hatching hobby get a lower cost set up. if you hatch every year several times a year think hard about getting one.....

frank

Hope this helps!​

Thanks, I was planning on letting her set on the nest. I know some hens don't set very well but did not know about these.

If you ever hatch artificially, there are some particulars of the Seramas, as the preceding quotes suggest, and you may want to incubate yourself some day, but of course, the hen does it all for you. Not much you can do with her except let her do her thing, LOL! Good luck with that.

I was a little afraid to let them set this time of year but my step father an old NC Mountain man said they would be fine in the building I have them in. I have one heat lamp in there to keep it above freezing. Should I put another over her in their side?

OK I feel like an expecting father.
lol.png
At what time should I seperate them? I can not do it today and the others are leaving her alone..

Back
Top Bottom