How long to keep a rooster?

Crs1

Songster
9 Years
May 13, 2014
Kansas City, MO
i have had a rooster for two years mating with the same hens for fertilizing eggs.
He is a wonderful rooster! very attentive and treats the hens very well and watches after them when he is with them
My questions two fold I think
1-how many years can I keep him mating with the same hens? Some will be his offspring
2-can I use his offsprings, who are roosters, for mating if I need to rotate him out?
3-right now I have a total of 4 roosters, 3 are related, which are separated from the hens because the poor thing were getting torn up. Can I keep them seperate til I need them for broody hens?
Ok 3 fold
Thanks
Connie

i have had a rooster for two years mating with the same hens for fertilizing eggs.
He is a wonderful rooster! very attentive and treats the hens very well and watches after them when he is with them
My questions two fold I think
1-how many years can I keep him mating with the same hens? Some will be his offspring
2-can I use his offsprings, who are roosters, for mating if I need to rotate him out?
3-right now I have a total of 4 roosters, 3 are related, which are separated from the hens because the poor thing were getting torn up. Can I keep them seperate til I need them for broody hens?
Ok 3 fold
Thanks
Connie
Disclaimer: I know just a touch about genetics and breeding line scenarios.
1. 3-4-5-? years, maybe more, depending on your goals and if you see any 'odd' offspring.
2. Personally I would not use male offspring on siblings,
usually OK but higher chance of 'oddities'.
3. I'd just get rid of the male offspring.
But again not sure of your main goals here.

Why wouldn't you continue keeping them all? Just start a bachelor flock - http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-keeping-bachelor-flocks
You miss the point, this is about possible problems due to 'inbreeding'.

Also limited genetics knowledge here, but sibling mating worse than parent/offspring in chicken genetics. Also have seen numerous times about using same rooster for around 5 generations tops before getting new one for healthy genetics purposes.

Of course, if you are breeding for certain characteristics, then you may be switching out roosters sooner.

I only have a rooster for my broody hens to hatch eggs❤️❤️❤️ I’m not showing them or trying to have just one type of breed of chicken. RIR BO.....
But I do have one black Orpington rooster And two hens which I would like to have more
But there again I would be inbreeding in two years or so and all the others would be related
So I think the best for me would be to rotate out roosters every 2-3 years?
I love broody hens and chicks but then I run into this problem

Depends what your goal is, My rooster is 5 but I don't keep any chicks that hatch, as don't have the space, he's a good people friendly rooster that treats the hens right. Everyone that has gotten chicks and cockerels from me are amazed that they are so well behaved and tolerant. Got him cause when lost my alpha hen the girls couldn't decide on a new alpha so brought in a peace keeper and he does an amazing job, he is here permantly

I can't speak to the genetics questions at all, but in my experience, finding a rooster that is protective and sweet to the hens is difficult. I'm not sure I could part with such a guy.

Back
Top Bottom