How long to lay each egg?!

LinzeeBrie

Songster
Apr 13, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
I set up a baby cam (with a spare old tablet) on my nesting boxes... And now I'm feeling rather bad for my ladies! They seem to spend hours hopping in and out of nesting boxes, testing a different one, switching places, sharing for a bit and then moving out, getting the rooster to approve the nest, etc etc etc! It's such a bigger process than I thought it was. Poor things are squawking up a storm and it takes them SO long to get settled! Such a production! Maybe it's because they're just getting into the swing of things for the season?!
(Unless there's ANY chance the camera makes them uncomfortable and is slowing them down?! 😜 They always finally lay AFTER the camera battery has died! 🤣).

I set up a baby cam (with a spare old tablet) on my nesting boxes... And now I'm feeling rather bad for my ladies! They seem to spend hours hopping in and out of nesting boxes, testing a different one, switching places, sharing for a bit and then moving out, getting the rooster to approve the nest, etc etc etc! It's such a bigger process than I thought it was. Poor things are squawking up a storm and it takes them SO long to get settled! Such a production! Maybe it's because they're just getting into the swing of things for the season?!
(Unless there's ANY chance the camera makes them uncomfortable and is slowing them down?! 😜 They always finally lay AFTER the camera battery has died! 🤣).
Lol, no. Every hen is her own person. She sees it as laying a prize and wants to lay it in the absolute best place possible!

There's really no need to pity them, they are just being fussy. Some lay in a moment, but others like to be choosy!
Screenshot_20210129-090942.png

These two are PARTICULARLY choosy today 🤣🤣🤣
(I'm more impatient than sympathetic 🙈🤣)

They seem to spend hours hopping in and out of nesting boxes, testing a different one, switching places, sharing for a bit and then moving out, getting the rooster to approve the nest, etc etc etc!
Typical, especially for new layers.
Sometimes it's best not to watch. ;)

Back
Top Bottom