How long to leave them in the shell???

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I have a chick that has hatched the top part of the shell off, her head and 1 wing are out of the shell but nothing else. It looks like the membrane is drying around her. Should I hurry and take her out and help her get the shell off or just leave her? She also has a piece a membrane drying right over one of her eyes. I have since had another one pip and zip and has hatched.

Quote:
You could take and wrap the egg shell in a warm wet cloth, but I wouldn't take it out. If the umbilical is still attached, the chick would probably bleed to death. You could also take a q-tip or eye dropper and put some water in the shell.

As for the membrane, take a warm wet cloth or q-tip and gently rub it off.

I ended up just removing a little bit of the shell and lining from the top and it popped right out. It is in the bator just chirping away with the other BR that has hatched.

Great!!
wee.gif

Did you get the membrane off its eye? (I told you in the other thread just to wait
wink.png
, they will work it out eventually. I have chicks hatching right now, and 2 have had their bootys stuck in the egg, just hopping around, with a shell on their butts!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom