How Long To Not Feed Hen After Prolapse?

Arya28

Songster
Apr 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
Some of you may remember back in October, one of my silkie hens had a prolapse.

Well, two days ago I noticed for the first time since then that she had a prolapse again. I gave her a warm bath with coilloidal silver, put it back in like 6 times, cleaned it with vetricyn each time, and then gave her some scrambled egg (one egg) with garlic, tumeric, and black pepper (anti inflammatory and anti biotic properties) to prevent infection.

I only had to put it in like 6 times that one day, and the next morning (yesterday) it was out a little when I woke up but then it went back in by itself. She laid an egg yesterday morning so it looked a little sore and there was a little blood, but I cleaned it again and it didn't look infected or anything. It has stayed in thankfully, since yesterday morning.

During these two days, the only thing I have given her to eat is a scrambled egg. I gave her nutri- drench in her water yesterday and electrolytes today so as not to deplete her of vitamins and nutrients.

So my question is, how long should I wait until I feed her? I know you are supposed to stop food intake for a little bit so that they don't need to poop. But since it has stayed in all day today and most of the day yesterday, do you think I should give her more food yet? Or wait another day? I don't want to starve her.

By the way, she is in a dark dog crate separated by the other chickens.

She is acting fine and doing well.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

When my girl had a prolapse I fed her normal. I kept her in the closet in a cat carrier and put the prolapse in a few times a day. She also got the Epsom salt baths. Once I was not having to put it in as often I was letting her go be with the flock around noon, keeping her in the dark until then so she wouldn't make an egg. She needs her minerals from the feed so the muscles can contract properly and hold the prolapse, so I wouldn't keep feeding her eggs only unless you are also giving electrolytes.

Anyway, I thought she would never get better but after a week it stayed in. You should be seeing a small improvement each day in the amount of swelling and protrusion.

Oh,one thing I remember is that the prolapse had what I guess was dried poo that was Very hard to remove. It took a few days off the soaking before I could even get it all of without risk of causing an open wound. I too sprayed vetricyn each time. Once I finally managed to get it down to bare flesh she had an easier time. I think fresh poo was snagging on the dried scabby stuff causing her to bare down too hard and perpetuating the problem.

Back
Top Bottom