How Long To PlayPen

alisonmanes

Hatching
May 12, 2015
Hello. I've got a flock of 8 chickens under 2 years old and I'm play penning my Serama who was previously part of the flock and her adopted EE Bantam chick. The chick is 25 days old and mama is still keeping her warm. When can I open the gate and let them all interact? I'm a bit worried about size because the 8 mature hens are all regular sized breeds, Austrolorps, Barred Rock, Ancona, Cream Brabanther, Amercaunas and a Red Sexlink. This is my first time with a chick and I really don't want a massacre.

That may have been unclear - here is a photo. My Serama and her chick are on the right and the big girls are on the left. There is a gate to keep them separate for the time being.

Your coop is double cute!

If they've only been separated by wire, I'd go ahead and open the gate and let them mingle, supervised of course. Expect some bickering, but don't be surprised if your little Serama momma ends up being the instigator and kicks some butt feathers. If things get too bad, pull them apart and try again later, but try to give them every chance to get past it.

Good luck!

Your coop is double cute!

If they've only been separated by wire, I'd go ahead and open the gate and let them mingle, supervised of course. Expect some bickering, but don't be surprised if your little Serama momma ends up being the instigator and kicks some butt feathers. If things get too bad, pull them apart and try again later, but try to give them every chance to get past it.

Good luck!

Is the chick still in danger of drowning? That's my other concern. We have a teeny tiny waterer for her but the big girls have a trough.

Hopefully momma will still protect the 4 week old chick.
Where was she in the pecking order before being separated with her chick?

Back
Top Bottom