How long to soak beans to make them safe for feeding

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
I've had some grains, dried peas, and dried mung beans that I was sprouting for fodder, but it took a lot of time so I haven't done it in a while. I thought it would be a lot easier to just make a mix of them and ferment it for a treat for my ducks. But I've read in a couple places that mung beans need to be actually sprouted to make them safe for poultry. Does this apply to dried peas too? And is that true, or will a 2 day ferment be enough?

I would pressure cook them. Beans such as kidney can actually be toxic if fed raw. I haven't done a lot of research on it, nor Mung beans specifically, but then at least you would know that you aren't giving anything toxic since pressure cooking will cook them.
Agree. Maybe not pressure cook, but cook.

I would pressure cook them. Beans such as kidney can actually be toxic if fed raw. I haven't done a lot of research on it, nor Mung beans specifically, but then at least you would know that you aren't giving anything toxic since pressure cooking will cook them.
Agree. Maybe not pressure cook, but cook.
Thank you! I'll probably still ferment the grains and peas and just cook the mung beans then. We do have an Instant Pot :D

Back
Top Bottom