How long to use electrolytes/vitamins in chick's waterer?

Jiff

Chirping
13 Years
May 19, 2009
Bennett, NC
We got three new babies yesterday & started putting a vitamin/electrolyte mixture into their waterer. I read in Gail Damerow's Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens to use vitamin/electrolytes in the waterer for one week for new chicks, or for three weeks if the chicks have been shipped. Since mine have were shipped, do I need to continue to use it for three weeks? It seems like a long time and I don't want to give them too much of it, so please let me know what you do with your babies! Thanks!

I didn't use any with mine... if they are doing well, and you can watch them, I think they will be fine.
smile.png

I have never used vitamins/electrolites in any of my chick's water. (I pick mine up too...) I think they'll be fine without it. I did use it for a chicken with a cold once.....

I used it for 5-6 weeks. My chicks were shipped. I used a small amount (smaller than the recommended dose after the first week). I liked knowing they were getting a little extra in their water, and I wanted to use up the package. (Ha-ha. Even after 5-6 weeks I only used less than 1/2 the package.....) My chickens are healthy and happy. I would do the same with my next batch of chicks.

Back
Top Bottom