How long to wait before collecting eggs to incubate

SusanJoM

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
So, Charlie, my Bantam Salmon Faverolle, and his 5 angels (2 bantams and 3 standards) are now in their breeding pen. Until now they have been free ranging all day with the other flock members, including way too many roosters.

Can you please remind me how long it will be before I can safely assume that Charlie is going to be the father of any hatchlings?

Thanks

Hmmmmm....

Anyone had "bad" results after three weeks?

There's a 30% difference between waiting three weeks and waiting until four, so I'd love to know if I really have to wait that other week.

Thanks

some hens have had fertile eggs a month after they have been taken from roo's,,,, that 30% can turn into alot of mutts wasted energy in the bator, and feed,, and you may get a chick that looks like the breed it is suppose to be, but will find out later it wasnt,,,, customers dont like that,, lol. i would think if 30% difference makes that big of a deal,, this convo should have been started 60% sooner
wink.png
lol.png

Well, I'm perfectly fine with eating the eggs for another week (or more) before I start saving them for incubating.

On the other hand, I don't want to keep them penned up for any longer than necessary....

So....four weeks it will be....

I would wait at least 4 weeks. I recently had a "mutt" on an egg collected at just about 4.5 and one collected at 5 weeks - 1 day!!!

hmm.png

Didn't know that was possible...!! Thought I was safe at 4 weeks.

Probably the same hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom