How long to wait until eating eggs (deworming)

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
Hi, I just started to deworm my hens with safeguard goat dewormer in a ball with flax seed and water. (+ a bit of honey for the ones who didn’t like the taste)

I plan on doing it for 2 days. None of them were looking sick so I don’t think i need to fully deworm them.

How long should I wait until I can eat their eggs again?

There are 2 ways to use SafeGuard horse paste or liquid goat wormer for chickens. Dosage is 0.23 PER POUND of weight, given once and then again a in 10 days for roundworms only. Or give it for 5 straight days for most all worms except tapeworms. Giving it for 2 days insin’t necessary. It only gets the living roundworms in the first dose. The second dose 10 days later will get the newly hatched worm eggs.

There are 2 ways to use SafeGuard horse paste or liquid goat wormer for chickens. Dosage is 0.23 PER POUND of weight, given once and then again a in 10 days for roundworms only. Or give it for 5 straight days for most all worms except tapeworms. Giving it for 2 days insin’t necessary. It only gets the living roundworms in the first dose. The second dose 10 days later will get the newly hatched worm eggs.
I gave my easter eggers 1 mL each, my buff cochin 1.6, and my partridge rock ~1.4. I’m going on a trip so unfortunate i can only do it for 2 days straight. I was wondering if it’s ok to eat the eggs after?

No need to do the second day if you haven’t already. There is a 14 day egg withdrawal time for eating the eggs. Some people ignore that, but there would be a tiny amount of egg residue in the egg. Will you be back in 10-14 days where you could do the follow-up treatment for just roundworms? You could probably do it as late as 21 days.

I asked about safeguard Equine dewormer for chickens but forgot to say how old mine 3 are. They are 15 weeks old and have not started laying. I am still feeding them chick feed. The farm store said to continue with chick feed until first egg or 20 weeks old. Does the dewormer harm the chickens? I don't think they have anything - I just don't want worms.

What type of climate are you in? It is not always necessary to worm them unless they are having symptoms, or if you are seeing an occasional worm. Most worms are too small to see without a microscope. Your vet could run a fecal float to check for worms.
SafeGuard is very safe for use in chickens. It can be used in chicks as young as 6 weeks old. Do you know how much they weigh? Dosage of the 10% fenbendazole horse paste is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given orally. For roundworms and cecal worms, give it once orally, and then repeat in 10 days. For roundworms, gapeworms, and capillary worms, give it for 5 consecutive days.

What type of climate are you in? It is not always necessary to worm them unless they are having symptoms, or if you are seeing an occasional worm. Most worms are too small to see without a microscope. Your vet could run a fecal float to check for worms.
SafeGuard is very safe for use in chickens. It can be used in chicks as young as 6 weeks old. Do you know how much they weigh? Dosage of the 10% fenbendazole horse paste is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given orally. For roundworms and cecal worms, give it once orally, and then repeat in 10 days. For roundworms, gapeworms, and capillary worms, give it for 5 consecutive days.

I have a couple of BYC friends in Florida, and both recommend worming chickens more often than most do because of the tropical weather. SafeGuard is very safe to use, and since your chickens are too young to lay eggs, you won’t even need to worry about a 14 day egg withdrawal time.

Back
Top Bottom