How long to wait?

sprotte

Hatching
Jun 20, 2018
I have 2 broody hens sitting on 20 eggs. I started with 1 broody and 14 fertilised eggs, given to me by a neighbour. The next day he brought me 6 more eggs. Since the hen is very big, she was able to cover all the 20 eggs. I checked several times a day to make sure all the eggs were covered and warm. She hardly ever left the eggs, bar 1 time when I had to put her back on the eggs and they did feel quite cool. 9 days ago the 2nd of our 3 hens turned broody and joined hen no. 1; they actually separated the 20 eggs into 2 batches so each was sitting on 10 eggs. Strictly speaking, day 21 was on Monday (evening). So far we've had 3 or 4 chicks; one I found between the hens, quite cold, so I took it indoors and warmed it with muskoxen wool gloves. It drank some water and when it was chirping and trying to leave its box I put it back with the hens. I am quite anxious now to see how many more chicks will hatch. Can I lift the hens off the eggs (and hatched chicks) to check or should I wait? The hens are eating the egg shells of the hatched chickens, is that ok?

Back
Top Bottom