How long to wait?

luvzmybabz

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
I have an egg that pipped at 8:30 this morning (day 20) just the tiny first crack and nothing at all since them no movement no more pipping nothing should I wait and if so how long?

I've had them pip and then not hatch til 24 hours later....patience!!...

Last edited:
Mine hasn't done anything either. I wonder if it has to do with it being at the wrong end? My little pip is the size of a pea and it is breathing, peeping and wiggling. How about yours? I was told be a breeder that she doesn't help any, because she wants a stong flock.

Anyone have any advice for luvmybabz???

I've heard wait 24 hours...And if you have to intervene then, it's up to you...I personally won't let one die in the shell, but i have a lot of pet chickens!!

I've never had one pip at the wrong end...but I always never help a chick hatch...its strong if it does it on it's own....I've never had one die...

Last edited:
I should add this is my first hatch...Some of the day olds I got last year weren't well when I got them, one only has one leg...Didn't have the heart to cull him...Just like my silkie with 2 vents (posted on behavior and egglaying)

well this am between 1 and 4 the pip became a little bigger and part of it is raised where I can see her breathing and everyonce in a while take a nip at the shell still only in pipping stage but I will not interfere as long as I now she is Moving breathing etc. and she has been talking up a storm

jumpy.gif
I've been talking to mine, and they aren't pipped yet!! My button quail start chirping if I whistle...Try that!! Coax that little fluffy butt out!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom