How long until able to sex my ducklings?

LeslieMiikal

Songster
7 Years
Dec 5, 2013
I ended up buying 3 Welsh Harlequins and 1 Blue X Harlequin this weekend, they were the last 4 ducklings at the farm store so I got a deal on them. I'm a poultry novice but am hoping these ducklings are mostly females as I would love to have duck eggs. I'll post some pictures, but if they're too young to sex I'll update with more pictures as they grow.

I have no idea of you just sex them by looks or check their butt. Any guidance would be great lol

Attachments

• 20170620_143900.jpg
    20170620_143900.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 14
Haha ya they're adorable! They're still skittish but they seem to be getting used to me. I finally got them into the little pool outside today and they're having a great time in there. I put some nice flat rocks and made sort of a step for them to get in and out of the pool, I am surprised how well they can jump!

So, how old will they be when I can actually tell their sex? The yellow ones are getting their feathers in, the black looking one still looks more fuzzy but I think everything blends on him (or her lol). Also, are the Harlequons silver or gold? I'm assuming silver as the feathers that are coming look darker? I'll get a picture of them in awhile.

Also, these ducks are much more timid then the chickens, any way to warm them up to me more? We've been trying to handle them more but also not being pushy. They do seem to be much more comfortable with me when i go in the coop in the mornigs to clean poop, feed, and change out the water dish. The silkies are much more personable in comparison, they eat out of our hands and one of them likes to be held and pet quite alot.

Oh? And a questionnabout the water! These duckling love to playbin the water dish, I have 2 water feeders I'm changing out back and forth daily as the ducklings get all kinds of filth in the dish that backfeeds into the container. Is there a better way to ti give the birds water then the standard water feeders? If not, no big deal.

Finally got out to get my picture of my ducklings. I kind of feel like that hatlequinnon the right may be a drake as its head is getting more of that dark cap then the other two. That's black one is a harlequin blue swede cross so i will just have to wait to see what happens with that one

Oh damn my post didn't post. Here's my picture, I feel like the harlequin on the far right is looking like it could be a drake based on the coloration happening on the head and neck. Also, it's beak is changing colour unlike the other 2. That blue Swede harlequin cross is way too ambiguous for me to decide any time soon lol.

Attachments

• 20170627_182722.jpg
    20170627_182722.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 8
Here's a new picture of the ducklings :) The black Swede cross is the heaviest and the least sociable. One duck we named "Friendly" tolerates being held and doesn't lose her mind, the others arentbas scared as the black Swede but are still not that sociable. I'll definitely pick up some call ducks when we get the chance, I'd love some friendly ducks :)
20170703_131457.jpg

Back
Top Bottom