how long until all the chicks hatch?

I4Him

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Rothbury
My hen is sitting on 11 eggs. The first one hatched Friday night. So far we have 3. How long should I wait to make sure everyone that can hatch, has a chance to?

My hen was on 11 also and hatched 10

The first one was Wednesday morning, the last on Friday afternoon. I picked up the 11th egg and tapped it with my fingernail.
No sounds and there was no sign of pipping so it was disposed of.

Good luck. Such fun!! Our family has been fully integrated into the rest of the flock as of this AM. The babies are 2 1/2 weeks old
and came out with Mother for their first dust bath yesterday.

It is best to give them 3 days past the usual hatch day. The usual hatch day is 21 days after she FIRST started setting on the eggs.

If eggs were added by another hen or you AFTER she started setting, you could have a staggered hatch. That would be where chicks are still hatching days and days later while she is caring for the chicks.

It is vital to put food and water RIGHT next to her so she doesn't have to get up from the nest to eat and drink if you want her to set further.

She has to teach the babies to eat and drink.

Also- if you have a very strong flashlight you can look inside the eggs to see if they are clear (no baby) or dark (baby alive or dead).

Last edited:
She started sitting April 30. Believe it or not, my daughter won these eggs in a raffle at a poultry show. We had a salmon favorolle hen that kept going broody so we let her sit on them, so we know they all started at the same time. Thanks for your help! Sounds like Monday evening is the stop date. Besides, no more are pipped.

Back
Top Bottom