1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long until chicks lay eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken03, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    How long does it take for chicks to start laying eggs? I know it may differ with breeds but about how many months on average? Thanks for any help.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

18-22 weeks of age.

3. Bridgette1221

Bridgette1221 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Newbie question, what does "laying rooster" mean?

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Sorry, there seems to be some kind of glitch in the system. He is asking at what age a female will start to lay.

It can vary anywhere from 16 to 22 weeks for production breeds or 20 to 28 weeks for others. Very slow growers may take longer.

It is also effected by the time of year. Coming to point of lay can be delayed by winter.

chel

5. CAREYn

CAREYn New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    mine r about 5-6 mouths old and they still dont lay i got the layer food they got every thing the need what do i do is giting to the point to proces the and buy new one the lay

6. CAREYn

CAREYn New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    mine r about 5-6 mouths old and they still dont lay i got the layer food they got every thing the need what do i do is giting to the point to proces the and buy new one the lay

7. Vicky2479

Vicky2479 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    My production hens didn't lay till about 24 weeks and my SLW didnt lay till 7 mths of age, so it can vary alot, but they will lay so just hang in there. Also if they are showing all the signs of eing at POL then maybe just check around the yard or coop to make sure they are not being sneaky about it and laying them somewhere you wouldn't expect.

8. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Silkies can take even longer. Are there combs and wattles dark? That is a sign they are getting ready.

9. Sausanali

Sausanali New Egg

Nov 5, 2012
    Newbie, I have 6 br, 20 weeks old. I found a soft shell broken egg this morning in the coop. Does that mean they're starting to lay?

10. lburress

lburress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Wichita
    Yes, I bet you are seeing a lot of eggs now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by