how long until I can add sand?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lunatic, May 14, 2009.

1. lunatic

lunatic Out Of The Brooder

I am anxious to get my huge chicks out of my house. They are more than ready to go outside. Coop should be finished this weekend. Problem is I live in Oregon and although it is supposed to be mid-70's Fri and Sat and almost 90 on Sun we just finished a huge rainstorm and will likely get more rain next week (and continuing on like this through June). The bottom of the run right now is gravel, at least 3-5 inches worth. Can I layer sand over that by early next week after a few days of strong sun or do I really have to wait until mid-July when we've had straight blazing sun and no rain for weeks? I'd rather not have all my sand disappear into wet muddy ground and have to replace it all.

Thanks for any help!

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you're putting sand on gravel, I don't know of any reason not to do it right now. Even if it's going onto mud, sometimes you just have to suck it up and do what's needed to get the chickens into better quarters even if it means having to replace the sand sooner than you would otherwise.

So, I'd say go ahead and do it, it'll probably be fine and even if it isn't it's still probably the best plan under the circumstances [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I'm in Vancouver, WA so I feel your pain. I've been working like crazy to get the coop finished but it's been difficult with all the rain. Like you I am planning on moving my 5 girls out to the coop this weekend. If you check my BYC page you'll see the progress on the coop and its design. For now the ground beneath the coop is 3 way mix. I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I might just leave it as is and see how they like it or I might add sand.

4. lunatic

lunatic Out Of The Brooder

Thanks all. I think I'll at least put sand in the area that is completely enclosed and add it to the outdoor section later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by